Monday, November 3, 2008

Live from New York...

When I was a teenager and in my 20's, I could tell you what was on TV most nights of the week on all of the major networks, and what was coming up in the near future. Now, with the proliferation of cable channels (do we still call them that?), and the fact that my zoning-out TV-of-choice is HGTV rather than network television, I couldn't tell you anything about any TV show that I don't specifically choose to watch. For the most part, I don't watch anything on NBC right now, so, I was a little out of the loop and a bit surprised to turn Saturday Night Live on this past weekend and find John McCain on the show.

I saw Sarah Palin on SNL a few weeks ago. She did the opening bit, sat and took it while they poked fun of her during Weekend Update, engaged in some witty repartee with Lorne Michaels and Alec Baldwin, and that was that. She was never NOT Sarah Palin, herself, the candidate-for-Vice-President. John McCain lampooning himself as a QVC host, though? I don't know. It bothered me on some level. Now, I know that John McCain hosted SNL before, so this wasn't his first foray into skit-based comedy. But, I just don't know...he's running for President. Really, I don't care what you do as a Senator. I don't care what you do after you lose (Bob Dole made a great SNL host!). But, is it wrong for me to want a presidential candidate to look...Presidential?

So, I pondered this Saturday night. I pondered it a little more yesterday. And, really, I pondered it until there was nothing left to ponder. I still don't know what bothered me about it. My sister mentioned that it's weird for her to see presidential candidates on David Letterman. But, really, that doesn't bother me. It's comforting to know that the person who wants to be at the helm of the country has a sense of humor. They laugh, they (like Palin on SNL) exchange a little witty repartee with Dave, but, all-in-all, it's a talk show, and they don't ever leave their personas at the door and tread the boards as something they are not (OK, OK...not they we know what they really are, anyway. As McCain says in his SNL backstage interview, politics and acting are joined at the hip).

So, overall, I guess it doesn't matter that it bothers me. And, as McCain says, "You do get a difference audience and a different exposure" by going on SNL than you're going to get with any talk show, even Letterman. If McCain making a fool of himself on SNL gets more 18-22 voters out to the polls tomorrow, then it's all good. It's a free country. A really free country, and SNL is one of the biggest examples of how free it is.

And that's my silver lining for today.

4 comments:

PearlsOfSomething said...

I've been trying to determine whether or not I'm just biased. Obama was on SNL during the primaries (though I guess it was more of a cameo than McCain's or Palin's roles) and that didn't bother me.

I do think that there's something off-putting about candidates going on *any show that has made their support for the opponent obvious.

Shows like SNL and The Daily Show have made it clear that they support Obama, even while they poke fun at him. I don't understand why someone would say "These people don't like me, and I'm going to let them exploit me in hopes that some viewers are easily confused."

That's like asking the class bully to take your lunch money, isn't it?

Hey, does Palin post on message boards?

Judy M. said...

Really, that's it. It seemed like a last-ditch desperate grasp at a few percentage points. I felt almost...embarrassed...for him.

I missed Obama on SNL, although I'm aware that he was on it. Palin was fine, I think--she appeared, talked, acted like a good sport. McCain crossed some line that I just can't quite define.

Amy said...

I didn't see the show, just caught some of the highlights this morning, and I actually was amused. I've seen bits and pieces of McCain before like that, and I've thought all through his campaign that he wasn't the same person he was previously. I might have actually been steered toward that previous person.

I do think he's very desperate, though. I've thought that since the last debate, with all of his eyerolls and sneers.

Judy M. said...

Oh, I fully admit that I would have voted for the Bob Dole who appeared on SNL. There's something about knowing that the person with the nuclear codes has a life and a sense of humor. :) But, OTOH, I don't want to feel sorry for the poor schmuck, either!

I do agree that the SNL McCain was closer to the person I thought he was before this campaign. He was my favorite Republican candidate, but he jumped the shark.