Friday, October 24, 2008

Boo!

My sister is a costumer out in Hollywood (Doesn't that sound impressive? I keep telling her that it is!), and I guess I got a little bit of the gene because we generally go all out. I've posted elsewhere about my crocheted chain mail, and I'm usually digging out the sewing machine and sewing like mad right up to the day, because, well, I'm a procrastinator and, even with a cut-off date for costume decisions, we often end up making idea changes when we actually head out to the stores to shop for materials (see my post from Wednesday, 10/22). Despite the often tight deadlines, I really enjoy making the costumes. It gets my brain working and my creative juices flowing. Even the annoyance of now having to make the Headless Horseman be able to see and move his arms has an upside because, in the end, it's a challenge that can be overcome if I can just get my brain to go in the right direction.

The costumes I make go into our (now) vast costume bin. If you drive by my house on any given day, you'll probably see my kids dressed in various combinations of the pieces that have been made or purchased (I'm also a sucker for Disney Store costumes--good quality, and usually on massive sale right before or right after Halloween--we've even given them to the kids for Christmas presents). When we go places we also tend to pick up bits and pieces--hats, swords, props. Really, I promise--I'm not trying to be an Impressive Mommy when I make this stuff. It's fun, and their enjoyment of it is worth any effort I expend. Plus, pinky swear--it's FUN!

:::Returning the next day because I got distracted by finishing up Mr. Headless for the party they are at right now:::


Yesterday, as I was driving the kids to school, I was talking my my 7 year old about his costume. I told him I'd make him a cravat out of the black material I'd brought up out of the basement, and he'd be able to see through it. This material is left over from making my younger son's Halloween Bat costume two years ago (one of the photos in the slide show). He got very concerned and said, "Oh, mom, please don't cut up Tom's bat wings." I told him that it was leftover from when I made them, so the bat wings would survive to swoop another day. His reply? "You MADE Tom's bat wings? Wow!"

And that's my silver lining for today.

3 comments:

kristin said...

Did I tell you that I love the name of your blog? Well, I do.

keep it up, it gets addicting. ;-)

Judy M. said...

Thanks!

Yes, the problem with my other blog is that I have to come up with something semi-topical to talk about, and have photos to go with it. It's a lot of work! This one, although I've had photos the past few days by chance, is more amenable to my rambling. :)

PearlsOfSomething said...

You do realize that my children can't be allowed to meet yours now, right? Seriously, I can't have them finding out how much cooler some moms are!